- 1 pack Muscovado or Barbados sugar
- 2 litres boiling water
- 1 litre red wine – Bordeaux, for example
- 2/3 measures of decent brandy
- Juice of 3/4 medium oranges
- Juice of 2/3 lemons
- Cinnamon sticks
- Sliced Ginger root
- 2 quartered oranges
- 2 quartered lemons
- Juice from a can of fruit cocktail
- You will need quite a large pot with a tight lid
Start this at least 1 hour before serving:
Dissolve the sugar in the boiling water. Add the juice from the oranges, lemons and fruit cocktail. Put on a low heat, don’t let it boil again. Add the sliced ginger. Break up the cinnamon sticks and throw them in. Add the wine and brandy. Put the lid on the pot. Come back and stir occasionally.
About half an hour before serving:
Stick the cloves into the skin of the oranges and lemons, and drop them into the mix. Lid back on pot and more occasional stirring.
After the party:
If you’ve got some left over, fish out the fruit quarters and the cinnamon sticks (strainer, colander) because they will oxidise and make the mulled wine bitter if left. Leave to cool and store in a covered container. Reheat in the pot.